Just a quick update on what’s hot and what’s not, after a couple thousand frames while travelling Europe.
- As responsive as i need it to be. Despite it being digital, it handles like a manual camera, and responds in the same calm quasi-mechanical manner
- Relatively light, though not that much less bulky than the 5D MarkII in actual use
- The Summilux 50mm is the best lens i have ever used — it draws pictures almost the way i see the scene in my head.
A street in Budapest
- WB is wonky. Same scene, different shots can have multiple white balance results. Not sure how the WB sensor works that leads to this.
Canon 5D Mark II
- Easy, super-easy operation. Almost a point & shoot, with a full frame.
- Auto-Focus is fast and accurate. Don’t really understand why people say it isn’t. Use center focusing, focus lock on the subject, then compose and release. Easy.
- The 17-40mm f4 is an under-rated performer. Hasn’t let me down yet.
- Suffers from “shutter fatigue” — locks up after several hundred shots, requiring a restart. Not sure what causes this.
- Heavy & very big.